Your personal data - what is it?
‘Personal data’ is any information about a living individual which allows them to be identified from that data (for example a name, photographs, videos, email or address). Identification can be directly using the data itself or by combining it with other information which helps to identify a living individual. The processing of personal data is governed by legislation relating to personal data which applies in the United Kingdom including the General Data Protection Regulation (the ‘GDPR’) and other legislation relating to personal data and rights such as the Human Rights Act.
Who are we?
This Privacy Notice is provided to you by Sutton Village Hall (SVH), who controls the data you enter in the Sutton Village Hall website. Sutton Village Hall is a registered charity (No.1119577).
Our registered address is:
Sutton Village Hall
1A High Street
Bedfordshire SG19 2NE
Sutton Village Hall will comply with data protection law. This says that the personal data we hold about you must be:
• used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way
• collected only for valid purposes and not be used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes
• relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes
• accurate and kept up to date
• kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about
• kept and destroyed securely including ensuring that appropriate technical and security measures are in place to protect your personal data to protect personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure
What data do we process?
We receive, collect and store any information you enter on our website or provide us in any other way. In addition, we collect the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; login; e-mail address; password; computer and connection information. We may use software tools to measure and collect session information, including page response times, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information, and methods used to browse away from the page. We also collect personally identifiable information (including name, title, email, contact details and any queries you enter in the contact form.)
What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
Your personal data is processed in compliance with the Legitimate Interests condition. This says that if we have a good reason to process your personal data then we may do so without your explicit consent so long as there is no unwarranted impact on you. Examples of this would be processing data for the purpose of storing your booking information. You have the right to object to us relying on this condition for processing your data. If you object then we will immediately stop processing your data on this basis.
We use your personal data for some or all of the following purposes:
• to confirm your identity to provide services such as booking the hall for an event
• to contact you by post, email, telephone or using social media (eg Facebook, Twitter)
• to help us to build up a picture of how we are performing
• to promote the interests of Sutton Village Hall
• to add photos of events to the website
• to maintain our own accounts and records
• to seek your views, opinions or comments
• to notify you of changes to our projects, services, events and role holders
• to send you communications which you have requested or that may be of interest to you
• to process relevant financial transactions including grants and payments for services
• to allow the statistical analysis of data so we can plan the provision of projects and services
We will always take into account your interests and rights. This Privacy Notice sets out your rights and our obligations to you.
Sharing your personal data
This section provides information about the third parties with whom Sutton Village Hall may share your personal data. These third parties have an obligation to put in place appropriate security measures and will be responsible to you directly for the manner in which they process and protect your personal data.
The Sutton Village Hall website is hosted on the Wix.com platform. Your data may be stored on Wix.com’s data storage, databases and Wix.com applications. They store your data on secure servers behind a firewall.
Currently, Sutton Village Hall does not share your data with any other third parties. As part of our day-to-day work, we may engage service providers who operate on our behalf, but we do not swap, sell or rent your personal information to anyone.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We will keep some records permanently if we are legally required to do so. We may keep some other records for an extended period of time. For example, it is currently best practice to keep financial records for a minimum period of 6 years to support HMRC audits or provide tax information. We may have legal obligations to retain some data in connection with our projects and services for an extended period of time. In general, we will endeavour to keep data only for as long as we need it. This means that we will delete it when it is no longer needed.
Your rights and your personal data
You have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
When exercising any of the rights listed below, in order to process your request, we may need to verify your identity for your security. In such cases we will need you to respond with proof of your identity before you can exercise these rights.
1. The right to access personal data we hold on you
• At any point you can contact us to request the personal data we hold on you as well as why we have that personal data, who has access to the personal data and where we obtained the personal data from. Once we have received your request we will respond within one month.
• There are no fees or charges for the first request but additional requests for the same personal data or requests which are manifestly unfounded or excessive may be subject to an administrative fee.
2. The right to correct and update the personal data we hold on you
• If the data we hold on you is out of date, incomplete or incorrect, you can inform us and your data will be updated.
3. The right to have your personal data erased
• If you feel that we should no longer be using your personal data or that we are unlawfully using your personal data, you can request that we erase the personal data we hold.
• When we receive your request we will confirm whether the personal data has been deleted or the reason why it cannot be deleted (for example because we need it for to comply with a legal obligation).
4. The right to object to processing of your personal data or to restrict it to certain purposes only
• You have the right to request that we stop processing your personal data or ask us to restrict processing. Upon receiving the request we will contact you and let you know if we are able to comply or if we have a legal obligation to continue to process your data.
5. The right to data portability
• You have the right to request that we transfer some of your data to another controller, where processing is being carried out by automated means. Sutton Village Hall does not conduct any automated processing and so you will not be able to exercise this right.
6. The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time for any processing of data to which consent was obtained.
• Where we are relying on your giving express consent to us processing your data, you can withdraw your consent easily by telephone, email, or by post (see Contact Details below).
7. The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
• You can contact the Information Commissioners Office:
Tel: 0303 123 1113
Information Commissioner's Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Transfer of Data Abroad
Sutton Village Hall will not transfer your personal data to any country or territory outside the European Economic Area (‘EEA’).
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions.
Changes to this notice
This Privacy Notice was last updated on 7th October 2020.
Please contact us if you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, the personal data we hold about you, or for any queries or complaints:
Sutton Village Hall
38 High Street
Sutton SG19 2NE
If you have any concerns about our handling of your personal data, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office:
Tel: 0303 123 1113
Information Commissioner's Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF